Question:
Reality check?
2006-11-28 13:51:07 UTC
If reality is virtually a system of checks and balances between a group of peoples sensory perceptions of currently existing situations and circumstances, how would you know if something others did not have a sensory experience of ever happened? And would that phenomenon you experienced be considered real or imaginary, since it cannot be substantiated by others?
Six answers:
2006-11-28 17:22:49 UTC
You wouldn't know. And if you experienced it, then it's real. To you. That's all that matters. You're dreams are real, even though you're the only one experiencing them. Even imagination is 'real'.
xxkittenluvxx143
2006-11-28 21:56:56 UTC
It would become a perception not a reality.

It's like asking if a Tree hits the ground in a forestand no one is aroudn to hear it, does it make a noise.

Nothing in this life can be proven 100 percent to be reality or a falsification. This is why we have a such thing as a Theory. And any theory can eventually be proven wrong. We just consider things factual when they have been proven over and over again and multiple people have wittnessed its cause and effect. But if somethign happens and you are the only one around only you can be the judge if it is 'Reality" or not. And just because I saw it one way and you saw it another doesn't honestly mean that either of us are right or wrong. It is how we preceived the situation.
thisbrit
2006-11-29 12:56:27 UTC
The writer of the long story about a shadow throwing his friend Father Jennings out of a room, fracturing Father J's skull, would lead me to say that evil spirits were the cause. In my belief system (traditional Christianity) there are two sources of spiritual reality: God's good ones and Satan's bad ones: the forces of good and evil.

Both sources are equally real, and both have power. Fortunately, God's power is ALWAYS the greater one. I have seen both. So have MANY MANY other people. this is not evidence of the paranormal, it is evidence that there is a spiritual reality about which we do not understand everything. My sources are personal experience and the Bible, where you can read about similar events.
oberdan_talkrue
2006-11-28 23:04:16 UTC
Unfortunately, I've seen and experienced things that can be substantiated by others.

Back in 1979, there were no DvD's, no digital equipment for projecting lasers, none of the technology you see today. No personal computers, not even a microwave oven. cable TV didn't even exist. Everyone had ariel antenna for local TV broadcasts. The technology to create digital illusions wasn't there. Nor was the ability to share it with millions of others on the internet. This is a frame of reference one needs to know in order to understand that such as what I am about to explain wasn't doable by anybody as a hoax.

Adults with children, teenagers and the such, all credable and all terrified out of their minds seen what happened and felt the force of it all. A shadow had stepped off a wall in our living room, stood in front of Father Jennings from St John's and picked him up and flung him out of the house through the screen door. This shadow pushed and shoved people on it's way to the basement door and vanished into it. This was the evil response for saying the Lord's Prayer in a house that was troubled by dark spirits.

One of the problems most people have is denial and fear of what others will label them. Father Jennings had a fractured skull and was taken to the hospital, but he tells the Staff at St Vincent's Hospital that he fell down the stone steps from the porch, when actually he sailed roughly 30 feet from the living room and never touched the porch. He refused ever to go back to that house for as long as I have lived in Erie, PA, before I moved away. He enver talked about it to his Parish. He pretends it never happened. The adults who fled the house in fear will not talk about it, either. The few teens who were there whom are now adults, won't offer testimony often, and when they do, it's only among those of us who still talk today. Why? Being called lunatics, decievers and crazy by everyone else is powerful motivation to keep the mouth shut.

I learned not to care what others think. That was not the only incident in that old house on 207 West 3rd Street, nor will I ever travel there again to see if there is still activity today. But the choice to decide if I beleive or not has been taken away from me. To say I don't believe in such things would be the same as denying the existence of computers. Only problem is, everyone knows and sees computers, and not everyone has seen what type of paranormal activity that I have.

And in a way, people are much better off if they never do experience it. I envy the choice others have. To believe or not to believe. I wish to God I could still make that choice myself.
Dr. Obvious
2006-11-28 22:00:35 UTC
In essence, you're asking the old question, "if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?"

The answer depends on who is giving their opinion.
2006-11-28 21:52:46 UTC
I think you have a virtual girlfriend.